Saturday, February 27, 2016

Week 6 Extra Credit Reading: Russian Folktales

For this week's extra credit reading, I read through the Russian Folktales unit. The stories came from Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston (1887).

The Headless Princess

This story was so scary to me! I felt like I was reading a horror story! A little boy sees a princess remove her head to was her face and brush her long hair. Afraid of what he saw, he ran away. The princess fell ill, and died. Her dying wish was to have the priest's son to read to her for three nights. The boy received his order but was terrified! He told his grandmother of his fears, and she advised him to take a knife and to draw a circle around himself. He was advised to not pay attention to any horrors. So he was reading to a coffin that had the body of the dead princess when all of the sudden she comes to life and tries to attack him! She couldn't break through the circle though. The next night she set the church on fire, but the boy remained protected by the circle and continued reading. I could just imagine the deadly, horrid face of the princess trying to attack that poor boy! I think I would die of fright.

 The Fox-Physician

When I read this story, I thought it would be about a fox that acted as a doctor, which it kinda was, but I was disappointed in the ending. Long story short, a man was climbing a magical cabbage stalk while holding an old woman in his sack. He dropped the sack, and the old woman fell to the ground. Her bones broke in a million pieces. A fox told the man that he would be able to cure the woman. He just needed butter, oatmeal, and a bathroom. The man fetches the ingredients. The fox did his work then left. To the man's surprise, the fox ate the butter and oatmeal, and left the old woman's bones in the bathroom. I wish there was more to the story such as the fox needing answers to riddles to fix the old woman or maybe some magic.

The Fox Physician. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment