Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary: The Fables of Aesop Continued

I finished reading the second unit of The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs. Two chapters in this unit caught my attention were The Old Man and Death and also The Man and His Mother.

The Old Man and Death

This story was about a man who was gathering sticks in a forest. I guess the task at hand was so great and tiring that he cried out to Death to take his life away. Lo and behold, Death appears around the corner as a skeleton and asked how he could be of service. Shocked that Death was right in front of him, the man asked Death to help gather sticks. The moral of this story was: We would often be sorry if our wishes were gratified.

I thought that this was an interesting moral because I have always heard that you should be careful for what you wish for. I was always taught that when you pray and ask something from God, He will never give you exactly what you want. Instead, He will give you want you need. I wonder if the man prayed to God, would God give him a large bundle of sticks or the strength to carry the sticks?


The Old Man and Death by Evanira
Death and the man. Source.



 
The Man and His Mother 

 A young man was caught stealing, so he was sentenced to be executed to pay for his crime. As every prisoner has one last wish, he wished to speak to his mother for the last time. I thought this was a sweet gesture until I continued reading. The man asked his mother to come closer because he had to whisper something in her ear. She brought her ear close to her son's mouth, and then he bit her ear! He actually bit his mother's ear! Everyone was shocked and asked him why he would do such a thing to his mother. He then explained that it was to punish his mother because she encouraged the stealing when he was younger. The moral of the story: rain up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart therefrom.

 I could never imagine blaming my mother for my wrong doings, but the moral does make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment