Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week 5 Extra Credit Reading: Cupid and Psyche

I've read through a couple of people's storytelling, and I've noticed that Cupid and Psyche (from Tony Kline's Apuleius's Golden Ass) was a popular story. Therefore, I decided to read it myself.

Cupid and Psyche

It was a very interesting read since it was so fairy-tale like! Psyche fell in love with the god Cupid, but she never saw his face because they always met in the dark. It did remind me of the classical Beauty and the Beast story. It appeared that Cupid was hiding in the dark to hid his hideous features when in fact he was hiding because he was Venus's son! Of course when Psyche found out that she was in love with Cupid, it all goes down hill. They marry and Venus is outraged. The chapter that stood out to me the most was Venus and Psyche. Venus absolutely hates Psyche! In fact, in the chapter it described how Venus would physically abuse Psyche by pulling her hair and dragging her by the ear. Owch! At this point of the story, Psyche was pregnant with Cupid's baby, so it really surprised me that Venus was beating Psyche, knowing that she could potentially hurt the baby (then again that was probably her goal). Venus assigned Psyche ridiculous tasks such as mixing beans and seeds together and telling Psyche to separate the ingredients again. Honestly, this chapter reminded me of how my ex-boyfriend's mother used to treat me when I was dating him. Not sure why she didn't like me since I was always respectful, but I always forced to oblige his mother by performing tedious tasks. The theme of crazy or evil mother-in-laws is so common, but I also thought it was exaggerated until I dated my ex-boyfriend. Luckily, I left that relationship.

Psyche and Cupid. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment