Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week 3 Storybook styles

Last semester when I took the Epics of India course, I chose to write a storybook over the portfolio. I really enjoyed making the storybook because there is more freedom to create more stories and mold them into my style. So for this semester's project, I will be making another storybook!

As for my topic for my storybook, I ended up choosing the Greco-Roman mythology unit. I couldn't help it! I'm leaning towards writing about the twelve Olympians, but I haven't quite decided how my storybook will be written. I looked through some storybook styles, and below are some of the potential choices.
(Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses by Tony Kline, 2000)


Villain as Storyteller

I really like the idea of hearing different perspectives especially the villains. In my opinion, I don't believe most villains are just evil out of nowhere. There must have been a traumatic experience that provoked the villain towards the path of hate and darkness. I'm thinking that I could write about Hades and his experiences of being stuck in the underworld, while Zeus rules the heavens. It could be a story of jealousy, but I'm still forming the idea.

Hades, God of the underworld. Source.

Bartender

I just thought this idea was hilarious! I can imagine writing a storybook about gods and goddesses heading to the bar to tell their troubles to a bartender. The more I think about it, the more I begin to lean towards this idea. I can write about Hades' troubles in the underworld or Hera venting to the bartender about Zeus's infidelity (which happens all the time)! I think the bartender storybook has genuine potential to be something great!

Funeral

This type of storytelling caught me completely off guard. I never thought about telling a story through the perspective of mourners. It's a great idea though! I know if I died, I would be curious of what everyone would say about me. I would have to look more into the gods that have died in order to develop a full storybook. Maybe people are glad that the god has died? Or maybe the god that passed away took a huge toll in the community? There is some flexibility in this storytelling style.

Neighborhood Gossip

Oh this is just fantastic! There has to be gossip about the Olympians! Did you hear about Hera's husband? He slept with another nymph, and this time she's pregnant! So scandalous! I could definitely have some fun with this storytelling style. I would put a modern twist with dialogue because it'd be more fun that way. Zeus and Juno would be one topic to write about for sure (infidelity is always a hot topic of conversation). Cupid's story is a potential story as well, but I would have to do more research for Greek gossip!


 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nicole! Your story is so great. The first thing that grabs my attention is the title of the story where in most times we can say that “freedom is not free”. I liked your style of writing the story and the way you changed the characters from animals to people. In this story you talked about two issues in life at the same time and in one story. First, the freedom and then how some students struggle during break because they have to obey the rules in their parent’s house. I was so comfortable and happy while I am reading your story and I had no problem with the font size. The spacing between the paragraphs is so good. And what I want to say about the image that it is so great and talks a lot by itself. I really like your story and enjoyed reading it. Great story!

    ReplyDelete