Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2: Growth Mindset - Memes

This week I decided to browse through the growth mindset memes, and I found one that I really liked! It's shown below:


Big change begins with small steps. Source.


The caption of the meme related to what my lab partner and I were discussing during our capstone lab. We were sharing tough lab experiences in the past, such as my struggle through molecular and physiology lab last semester (I survived)! As we chatted about our challenges in each lab, we realized that we were currently taking our last microbiology lab. Ever. As freshman, we looked at capstone as the hardest class on our degree list, and it terrified us. How will we survive that class? Can I even do it? But here we are today, preparing enrichment cultures for lactic acid bacteria with ease.

"Nicole, we're in capstone. We're actually doing it!" My friend exclaimed. It might sound dumb, but it was such a huge realization. We have conquered every lab for our degree, from organic chemistry lab to physics lab to fundamentals of mbio lab to cell bio lab and now capstone. The challenges that we thought we could never accomplish were actually achieved. Now we just have to do it again one more time. I've realized that in the end, it's the continuous small efforts that will make the biggest change.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I just happened to notice this post go by and I'm so glad I did. It gave me a boost just READING about your accomplishment. It is so exciting to teach college seniors for just the reason you describe here: you are able to build on some seriously great accomplishments from your college career. How wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete