Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week 1 Introduction

Hi everyone! My name is Nicole Rodriguez, and I'm a senior. I studied microbiology, pre-med, with two minors in Spanish and chemistry. My dream is to be a cardiovascular surgeon or a pediatric cardiologist. However, I'm open to oncology and emergency medicine as well. Just to introduce my background, I was born in West Palm Beach, FL and raised in Stockton, CA. I moved to Oklahoma when I was about 8 years old. Oklahoma is way different from the East and West coast. It took me awhile to get used to Oklahoma, but it's home now. My entire family is Colombian, more specifically my parents are from Cali, Colombia. For those of you that don't know, Colombia is located on the Northern tip of South America next to Venezuela. It's a beautiful green country that is popular for its coffee and flowers. Of course, it also has a bad reputation for drug trafficking... But it has improved greatly. Colombian culture really puts an emphasis on family. I love my family, and I'm very close to my cousins. The two most influential people in my life are my younger brother Erik and my cousin Isabella. They have been the best support group in my journey through college and even life itself. They are always there for me through thick and thin. Even more exciting, Isabella has transferred to OU so I see her every day now! I don't know where I would be if it weren't for these two goons.

Erik, Isabella, and I reunited before school. Personal Photo.

On a different note, I'm excited to graduate from OU and begin backpacking through Europe with my friends during the summer. The countries that we are planning to visit are Scotland, Italy, Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece, Morocco, Germany, and Montenegro. I love to learn about different cultures and explore new cities. I guess I don't know what I'll find out there, but I'm excited to find out!

UPDATE: I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! Starting this August, I'll be a first year medical student at the OU College of Medicine! I'm SO excited! It's crazy to look back at everything. I survived it all. This year is so full of events: Acceptance, graduation, Europe. I can't wait for the challenges ahead of me. The most insane part is that I'm actually doing it. I'll actually be doing what I love as my career. I couldn't have done it without my two goons and the support of my family and friends.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! You are such a a driven person! I'm always awed by the people who understand topics like microbiology. Science and math have always been so difficult for me so I think it's cool that people can actually study it and understand it! I also have a Spanish minor so that's something I can relate to. I'm applying to study abroad in Spain over the summer and while I'm there I will take the final two classes I need for the minor. I'm really excited to go so I think it's awesome you're planning on backpacking to so many cool countries after graduation! Hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, microbiology, two minors, AND pre-med... my fiance was a microbiology major (pre-med as well), and I didn't understand a single thing about any of his classes. You sound really driven, and that's awesome! Have you taken the MCAT yet?? If so, hope it went well/goes well!

    So, have you been to Columbia? My family is from Germany, but I've never visited myself (although I would love to). And congratulations on getting to backpack through Europe! (Do you watch Gilmore Girls? That's what it reminds me of.) I'm super jealous; I would LOVE to see Scotland! Italy rocks. Definitely have a cappuccino somewhere if you like coffee. Because it's a million times better there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten that your family was Colombian, Nicole: it is nice having a chance to meet you again all over. And how great that Isabella is at OU now too. Your summer plans sound fantastic: Morocco even! It sounds like an amazing adventure from start to finish... and summer is going to be here faster than anybody can imagine! I hope you will have a great last semester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have to admit I'm really impressed by you. You seem very driven. I was going to do a minor in Spanish but it turns out languages aren't my strong point. I'm so jealous of your travels! I really want to travel and when I graduate in December, I plan on taking a little time out and traveling. I am also planning to go to Europe though my obsessions are Italy, Portugal, UK, Ireland and the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Nicole!

    You have a fascinating life! I sincerely admire all of the hard work that you have put into your school work. Your patients will surely be very lucky someday!

    Backpacking across Europe will be a blast, especially with friends! What a special way to grow together! I hope that you'll check back in with us and post all your awesome travel pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so nice to meet you! I think it is so great that once you finish your undergrad you are heading off to backpack across Europe. I have thought about what I want to do immediately after graduation and now I may put that as one of my options; sounds so fun! Do you ever get to go back and visit Columbia? I'm sure your really miss the country and your family there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so jealous that you are backpacking across Europe this summer! I just went to Italy and France this past summer and fell in love and cannot wait to go back. Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate studying micro-bio, chemistry, and Spanish! That is so impressive! I am actually minoring in Spanish as well! I love the language and it comes so natural to me! Good luck with the rest of your spring semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have fun on your backpacking trip! I wish I could go backpacking through Europe, but I don't think I'm brave enough to do that haha. It's really cool that you know what you want to do and have other options available... I recently just figured out what I like lol. It's admirable that you stuck with pre-med and all the science stuff.. I'm absolutely clueless with that. Have fun in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicole! I am so jealous of you getting to backpack through Europe, that will be great. That is something I would seriously enjoy, and will look into after I graduate as well. The degree path you have taken sounds incredibly intense, I imagine it did not leave much extra time. I am looking forward to a semester working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Microbiology, pre-med, with two minors in Spanish and chemistry? That is a lot. I am quite impressed. That's a lot of work. Congrats on making it to your senior year. I am jealous that you are getting to go backpacking across Europe. It sounds like so much fun. Scotland and Germany are among the top places I hope to visit someday. Good luck this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nicole, nice to meet you! Congratulations on graduating soon! I hope you reach your goals within the medical field, they are very admirable. It is really cool that you are from Colombia, do you get to visit there much?

    I love how close you are with your family and I hope you get to keep up with your brother and cousin no matter where you three end up! Those relationships are the best. I hope you have a fantastic last semester and I look forward to reading your works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nicole! I'm in the medical field as well, but I think it's so awesome that you are premed! I don't think I could do that much school. I think it is so exciting that you are going backpacking and getting to visit so many places! That is my dream when I graduate, and would love to have that experience. I hope that everything goes well for you throughout the rest of this semester, and good luck with your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! Thats awesome that you are backpacking Europe this summer. It is one of my dream goals. I have always wanted to do it and its first on my list, once I graduate. I hope you have a great trip!
    I also think its great that you are so close with your family. I don't know where I would be without my sisters and close friends.
    Congratulation on med school. That is a great accomplish. I am suer you will do amazing. Considering you have major and two minors! Thats awesome!.

    ReplyDelete