Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week 1 Overview UnTextbook

For my week 2 readings, I decided to browse through the classical units. I found three stories that caught my attention:

1) Ovid's Metamorphoses (http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/04/myth-folklore-unit-ovids-metamorphoses.html)

Ovid's Metamorphoses caught my attention because the readings pertained to familiar Greek mythological gods and creatures such as Narcissus and Medusa. I have always been interested in Greek mythology, and I would like to read more about it.

2) Beowulf

I was between choosing Homer's Odyssey and Beowulf. I chose Beowulf because I never read the story before, but I have seen some clips of the movie. I'm not too familiar with the story, so I decided I should read it. Also, if I can't understand the story, I feel like I could watch the movie which also works as a study break.

3) Arabian Nights

I have always heard that Arabian nights had beautiful stories, but I never actually brought myself to read them. Reading B shows readings about Aladdin, and I wondered if the story actually coincided with Disney's Aladdin. This choice is definitely a stretch from my comfort zone, but I'm excited about it.
Aladdin. Source.



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you want to look at Ovid, Nicole! His Metamorphoses poem is the main reason we know a lot of the ancient Greek myths. He kind of wrote an encyclopedia of Greek mythology... but he did it in the form of a gigantic, long poem! It is pretty amazing. If you like it, you could even do Ovid for Weeks 2 and Week 3. There are so many great stories in there! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete